Kaposvar, one of the first Hungarian settlements in Western Canada, was established in 1886.
Kaposvar Historical Society preserves, restores and maintains the Kaposvar Historic Site which consists of stone church ( 1907) stone rectory (1900) Grotto (1942) cemetery (1886) and artifacts relating to the history of the early Hungarian settlement. A homestead site was established in 1986 which includes pioneer house (1905) barn, millhouse and a rural schoolhouse.
The site is located 3 miles (5 km) south of Esterhazy on grid 637 and is open for guided tours during the summer (mid May through to September) and by appointment.Every 3rd Sunday in August a pilgrimage is held at the grotto.The stone church celebrated its centennial in 2007.
For tour information contact:
- Louis Hozjan 745-2785
- Beatrice Twardzik 745-6374
- Mary Lou Pisak 745-2799
- Eugene Gonczy 745-3474
The Kaposvar Historic Society is accepting applications for summer employment, mid-May to the end of August. The position includes but not limited to ground maintenance, general cleaning and conducting tours. Equipment is supplied. Please submit your resume by April 30, 2014 to:
Kaposvar Historical Society, Box 371, Esterhazy, SK S0A 0X0